Home | Course Map & Preview Video | Bike Relay | Registration | Directions | Call-Up List
Kermesse ~ 1. annual, local celebration, common in the area of Belgium and northern France, accompanied by feasting, dancing and sports of all kinds. ~ 2. (a.k.a. "kermiskoers") Belgian style summer bike race, staged during local kermesse festivities. Good times, on and off the course!
- MON 08-25-2014 -
THANKS to everyone who came out to Kruger's Farm yesterday to race and/or spectate!
The course rocked, the atmosphere was 100% Kruger's Farm, and the glory of winning, podiuming or just racing was totally earned!
Results of yesterday's races have been posted on OBRA, podium shots are up on Flickr, and Leonard Johnson of Hot Foot Photo posted more than 300 high-quality action shots of all solo races and a couple shots of the relay.
Further, I like to thank:
- our title sponsor, West End Bikes, for helping us putting on the event and providing mechanical support. Please support them with your business!
- our other great sponsors, most of them local companies with a big heart for cycling: Hopworks Urban Brewing, Showers Pass, Nossa Familia Coffee, Chris King, Portland Design Works, Dave's Killer bread, Rip van Wafel,s and Larabar;
- all volunteers and OBRA officials who made it all happen and did an amazing job setting up the course, getting people through registration, counting laps, marshaling around the course, tending to the inured, and cleaning up, down to the last cone.
Last but not least, a major shout to Don Kruger and all the friendly folks over at Kruger's Farm. We are very fortunate to have farmers like Don who make their property available for unique bike races like these. Please support them by attending their events (they have one last summer concert this Thursday and soon they'll shift into full Halloween pumpkin and corn maze mode) and by shopping at their farm store and city farm stands.
And mark Sunday November 23 on your calendars for our next rendez-vous at the farm (the traditional closer of the Portland cyclocross season), the ever-popular Kruger's Crossing Cyclocross Classic & Doggie Dash.
Again, thanks for helping us make Sunday's race such a fun event and hope to see you back on November 24th!
PS: unclaimed medals (for top-3 in each solo category) will be available for pick-up at West End Bikes (1111 SW Stark St, Portland), starting on Friday 8/28.
Get ready for the Kruger's Kermesse Encore - CX Farm Crit & Bike Relay presented by West End Bikes. This ever-popular off-road bike race will be staged on Sunday August 24, 2014 at Kruger's Farm in the beautiful countryside of Sauvie Island (just 20' from downtown Portland)!
Like we did at the spring edition back in May, we are adding a 2-person team relay race option to the mix, so you will be able to choose between racing solo for 45', racing with a buddy for 60', or - even more fun - do both!
Note: While this race is called a farm crit, it is nothing like a road criterium. The race is open for racers of all ages and all abilities and feels more like a fast and non-technical cyclocross race over hard-packed farm roads, featuring some potholes, some ruts, a sprinkle of gravel, a bit of sand, and depending on the weather, possibly some mud. However, everything will be 100% rideable (no barriers or dismounts). Just think about it as Portland's mini-version of Paris-Roubaix, sans cobblestones. To get a better idea of what we're talking about, check out the course map & course preview video (the course will be the same or very similar to the spring edition) and some of the great action shots from previous editions posted here, here, here, here and here.
Throughout the afternoon, racers and spectators will be able to kick back on the concert lawn, located behind the farm store, right next to the finish line. Kruger's Farm Market and their concession stands will be serving chili, salads and grilled sausages, but feel free to bring whatever you like to throw a little post-race farm picnic, while watching the racers fly by.
At 11:45am, we will stage two FREE kiddie races, one short loop around the concert lawn for the little ones and novice racers, and one full-lap race on the regular course for expert kiddie racers and Under-12 juniors. After our officials have tallied the results (around 2pm), we will wrap up the day with awards (for all solo categories) and a free raffle for all racers in attendance.
Schedule (UPDATED 08/20):
10:00am - Clydesdale, Beginner Men, Junior Men 12-18, Women B/C, Master Women B 35+, Master Women 45+, Beginner Women, Junior Women 12-18 (45 min)
11:00am - Men B, Men C, Master Men B 35+, Master Men C 35+, Master Men 50+ (45 min)
11:45am - FREE Kiddie Race (Beginner 5 min, Expert 10 min)
Noon - Men A, Master Men A 35+, Singlespeed, Women A, Master Women A 35+ (45 min)
1:00pm - 2-Person Men Open, 2-Person Women Open, 2-Person Co-Ed Open, 2-Person Singlespeed, 2-Person Men 80+, 2-person Men 100+, 2-Person Junior (60 min)
2:30pm - Awards , Raffle & Good Times!
Awards & Prizes & Goodies:
- $300 cash purse for Men A & Women A (split based on # of pre-registrations in each category).
- Unique, custom medals for top 3 finishers in each solo category.
- Two Chris King gift certificates (for a bottom bracket or headset of choice) will be raffled off among all pre-registered racers (we will raffle off one certificate among all racers who pre-register by Sun 8/17 and another one among everyone who has pre-registered by Thu 8/21).
- A free Rip van Wafel for all pre-registered racers.
- Random "Belgian Primes" - courtesy of Hopworks Urban Brewing, Dave's Killer Bread and Bob's Red Mill - throughout the solo races and free post-awards raffle for all racers in attendance. Throughout the day, we'll be giving away more
than $1,500 worth of primes and prizes!
Volunteer and Race for FREE!
We are still in dire need of volunteers to help
on Saturday with Set-Up and on Sunday with marshaling, lap-counting and the kiddie race. If you like to help us make it all happen (and have a great time while you're at it), just email Kris Schamp at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you volunteer for three or more 1-hour shifts, you will get a FREE race entry for yourself or a friend. All volunteer slots will be filled on a first-come first-serve basis.
Just email Kris Schamp at email@example.com.